If you created a new table, added a lot fields, and then realized it wasn't extended off a table you need like the task or cmdb_ci table, it can be a big process to delete the table and start over.
Here is a script to extend an existing table.
- Always test first in a test or development ServiceNow instance
- This script does work with tables with data in them, however I suggest only running this on new or empty tables.
- This is a manual step and isn't captured in an update set.
Steps to extend table
- Elevate your privileges to security admin
- In scripts - background run this script (replacing variables as needed)
//Replace <source_table> with the table you want to extend //Replace <table_extension> with the table you want to extend to, like cmdb_ci or task var table = '<source_table>'; var old_parent = ''; var new_parent = '<table_extension>'; var changer = new GlideTableParentChange(table); changer.change(old_parent, new_parent);